October 26, 2005

Blogpoll Discussion for this week

Blog Roundatble Week X+1

Being the Domer homer I am, here goes...

1. The Envy Poll (as seen on rsfc)Name the five teams, other than yours, whose accomplishments you respect / envy the most. Use whatever criteria you feel is appropriate (wins, titles, consistency, academic integrity, competitive integrity, NCAA violations, general thuggery, mascot intimidation factor ...).

I admire the Alabama Crimson Tide. They have the championships, they have Bear, and they have a rabid fanbase that thinks of nothing else but football all the time.

Respect? I respect USC and their "true" fans. Not the out-of-the-woodwork Nick Lachey types who want to be cyberRambos and spout everything Trojan but the ones who were there during the 0-12-1 vs. the Irish and rightfully revel in their success now.

I respect Florida State and their 14 year run of being in the Top 5 but admire? No. Pure envy I guess.

Respect also goes for those programs' fans that would rather eat a bullet then sell their tickets to the enemy. (Notre Dame fans still need to learn this. I think Tennessee and Nebraska here, they jump to the forefront.)

2. Admissions
With regard to Question #1, what is the most damaging criticism of your program that you will admit is a legitimate criticism? That is, what negative trait does the most damage to the overall respect level of your program (in your eyes, or to others, interpret as you will).

What traditional ploy will the Irish use this week? The Green jerseys, Touchdown Jesus, Rockne's legend, Ara, Leahy, the Four Horsemen, the Golden Dome, winning one for the Gipper, sheesh...sometimes I feel like saying "just play the stupid game".

3. Unrelated Discussion Question
Who do you think is the best player in the history of your program? Tell us a little about him (especially if he's not a household name). Feel free to pick someone from 50 years ago that none of us has seen play.

I followed in 1986 to present, so for me its a no brainer, Raghib Ismail. The man was lightning in a bottle and seemed to play his best in the biggest games. The two touchdown returns against Michigan still remains my favorite Notre Dame moment. I have never since seen a person single-handedly bring down a very good opponent.

About Me

My photo
Heavenly time period: College football season until the championship game of March Madness.